Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Christmas Loot

We all had a wonderful Christmas. I'll add some pictures later - but we were all opening presents for hours.

The kids got some great toys, new bedding and their traditional Christmas Eve pajamas. Grandma got some wonderful books, a George Foreman grill, and some movies. I got a purse and wallet from my sister, scarf/gloves, watch and earrings from my brother and some kitchen & bath goods. Mom also gave me my dad's digital camera since I broke mine a few months ago by throwing it on the ground.

We gave a lot of gifts to the neighbors and felt good this season, even without my dad and my grandma. We used to have a tradition while I was growing up that we would go to grandma's house on Christmas Eve to eat dinner, exchange presents and sing around the piano while grandma played.

This year we went to my sister's house in Ogden, and had lots of fun with her family. We have our own Christmas Eve tradition now, because for so many years we lived too far away or couldn't afford to travel to grandmas. I felt my dad's presence around since Sunday. It seems as if he was just hanging around for the holidays. My dad loved Christmas. The sights, the sounds, the spirit and the joy of giving.

::sigh::

All in all, this Christmas wasn't as bad as I was expecting. Mom seemed outwardly able to cope with her feelings. Since she's been wearing her emotions on her sleeve, watching her reactions and her emotions this week seem to tell me she is on her way through the healing process she's needed for a long time. Doesn't mean we don't miss dad - but the pain is a bit different now.

0 comments: